Monday, April 12, 2010

Joy Ride...A story

Here’s a story about a kid kind of like you. Except he’s round and green. Oh, and he’s made out of helium and plastic. He’s a balloon and his name is Manny.

One day not so long ago, Manny was feeling green for two very good reasons. 1) He was made that way. And 2) he was jealous that a little girl chose Sheila, the red helium balloon instead of him.

But he knew that by the end of the day someone would take him home. After all, this was a country fair with millions of other kids. Plus, he was one of the most fun souvenirs one could by.

Manny was right. It wasn’t long before a kid twitching from too much cotton candy and soda headed his way. “I’m finally gonna have a home,” Many thought. Then the kid pointed at him and said five very special words, “I want the green one Mom.”

What happened next was like watching yourself in a scary movie. One moment Manny felt sheer joy, and then next, it was like he was watching himself in a scary movie. As the balloon man was separating Manny from the tangled mess of other balloons, a huge gust of wind lifted him quickly into the air past the outstretched hands of the kid.

Manny had never felt so deflated. Even before he was filled with helium. He’d come within inches of a home, and now he was miles away. As Manny climbed higher and higher into the air, the fair grew smaller and smaller. He choked back a small sob.

A passing Hummingbird heard him. “What’s wrong,” he asked.

“I was about to go home with a little boy, buy a gust of wind carried me into the air before I had a chance,” Manny replied. “Now I’m all alone.”

“You’re not alone.” I’m with you said the Hummingbird. “Tell you what, I’ll fly here next to you and you can tell me your story.”

“Well,” Manny began, clearing his throat. It’s hard to remember everything. But I do remember that I was born in a warehouse with lots of big machines.”

Suddenly a beautiful blue and white kite, with a long tail fluttered beside them. “Can I listen to your story,” asked the kite?

Sure said Manny, happy to have more company. “After the warehouse, I was brought to another place where they stuffed me in a plastic bag. And after that I was brought to another place where they filled me with helium.”

“Boy, that’s a lot of places,” said a Dragonfly who’d also joined them.

Manny nodded and continued his story. “And after that I was thrown in the back of a van and taken to a store that sold cards and flowers.”

“Must be exhausting,” said a Bee who also joined the pack of flying friends.

Manny sighed and continued. “Finally I was brought to the fair where I was sure someone would find me and take me home so I wouldn’t be so lonely.”

“Are you lonely now,” asked a Dandelion tuft that had been cast into the sky from a nearby field.

Many looked around. He was astonished not only to find himself surrounded by so many people. But so many people who seemed to care about him and his story.

“Besides, things happen for reasons that we’re not always aware of,” continued the Dandelion tuft. “You just have to keep smiling.”

And just then as Many filled with hope, he slowly fell from the sky. He descended past a hand-glider, in between telephone poles, and through tree branches right into the arms of a little girl with a big smile. And Manny knew he’d finally found a home.

No comments:

Post a Comment