Monday, April 12, 2010

Pip Comes Apart...A story

Along time ago, there was a Rabbit named Pip. As he was hopping through the forest he suddenly grew very tired. Because there were lots of mean animals around, he decided to take a rest with the help of a mighty Oak Tree. “Please open up Mr. Tree, so that I can rest within the safety of your trunk.”

The tree opened up so Pip could go inside to rest, then it closed to keep him safe. Pip slept for hours. When he awoke, he couldn’t remember what he had said to make the tree open. He said, “open up tree, I want to get out.” But nothing happened. He tried again, “Mr. Tree, I’m done sleeping and I want to go home now.” Still nothing happened.

Scratching his head with a paw, Pip suddenly devised a plan. With his sharp front teeth, he would gnaw his way out! He began to chew, but before long he realized that the mighty Oak’s bark was just too tough. Good thing a nearby bird heard him trying to nibble his way out. The bird sat down on the limb and began to peck at the outside of it. But after many hours, all the bird had to show for his hard work was a small hole and a bent beak. “Sorry Mr. Rabbit” cried the bird, “the might Oak’s bark is just too tough.”

Pip sat down and feared he’d never get out. Just when he lost all hope, he came up with another plan. One by one, he’d remove pieces of his body and squeeze them through the small, open hole in the tree! He started with his feet. Then he squeezed his legs through. Then his arms. He was nearly there! The only thing left in the tree was his head. But he now had an even bigger problem. Without his arms, there was no way his head could be lifted and squeezed through the open hole.

“Now I’m really in trouble,” he said to himself. “What can I do? I only have my head, nose, ears and mouth.” After thinking about it some more, he realized that he wasn’t in that much trouble. He’d forgotten all about the magic word! And all he needed was a mouth to say it!

“Mr. Tree, please open up so that I can go home.” And with a creak and a groan, it spread it’s trunk wide.” “Hooray,” he said, “I’ve finally made it.” Now if only the magic word could magically make my legs come up here, I’d be able to get down.

No comments:

Post a Comment